This past August 24th marks the ten year anniversary of the 72 migrants massacre in San Fernando, Mexico. The massacre was carried out by the Zetas cartel as a demonstration of power during a time of turf rivalry. To recognize and pay respect to this tragedy Mexico’s current President, Andrés Manuel López, has proposed a new bill which will open the doors of Mexico’s judicial practices significantly. His bill aims to make international investigations possible, especially concerning cases on forced disappearances. President Lopez goes as far as to say that the UN can “intervene with no limitations” and invites them to step in “in every case that represents a violation of human rights” once the bill is passed.
Although Mexico is not part of Central America, I found this topic while searching for news articles relating to Central America and thought this one brought an interesting perspective to security. Essentially, whats happening is that in efforts to uphold Mexico’s security, President Lopez has chosen to lower some of its judicial borders granting access to international players. Personally, I’m having a hard time deciphering whether this will do more harm than good. I understand President Lopez’s want to keep incidents like the massacre from reoccurring, however, I don’t think granting limitless intervention to outside players is necessarily the solution. I think his statement on August 24th was too vague, which can be dangerous. By welcoming the UN to intervene “in every case that represents a violation of human rights” he’s opening the door to perception and giving the UN a seat at the table for future issues; if there aren’t any limits placed on international players intervening in Mexico’s internal affairs, it can soon become a question of sovereignty.

-Natalie V.
https://apnews.com/a74d1dd17fc38edcdd87324b8a4cce41